Group Admins

• Profile picture of andrea

general

Public Group active 2 weeks, 2 days ago

support area for everyone including pre-sale

BP Multi Network, Networks+, and Facebook Connect (4 posts)

Topic tags: buddypress, facebook, facebook connect, multi-network, multisite, networks+
  • Profile picture of Peter Martin Peter Martin said 5 years, 5 months ago:

I’m waiting on group approval for the Networks+ plugin group, but time is tight so I’d like to at least outline my problem here.

This is my setup (ideally):

I have two community sites (eventually expanding to dozens in a planned rollout) that are separate but will share a parent theme. On each of these sites, Groups (dictated by location) are the most important element. We may want to expand to subblogs later on, but it’s less important.

So, what I’ve been attempting to set up is this:

TOP SITE – where I have the WP multisite installation, where I activated Networks+ (in the hope that I’d have more luck than with WP Multi Network) and BP Multi Network. This is a completely fresh installation after I failed with the other plugin.

Then, I created subnetworks for each of my sites. Site A and Site B.

Following the BP Multi Network instructions as best possible, I’ve then installed Buddypress to both Site A and Site B. So far, so good…activity and groups are limited to their respective subnetworks and seem to be working fine.

Now I’m running into problems with Facebook Connect, however. Using WPMUDev’s Ultimate Facebook plugin, the plugin seems to fail on mapping Facebook profile fields to Buddypress profile fields. With my earlier attempt using WP Multi Network, it at least listed Name, though not any custom BP fields. With Networks+, it doesn’t list any fields at all.

I’m guessing that there’s something that needs to be changed in the Facebook plugin to allow it to find the correct mysql tables for the mapping, but this part is beyond me. Any ideas on how I can get this up and running?

Thanks in advance.

• Profile picture of andrea andrea said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Sorry for the delat – we were travelling.

“Using WPMUDev’s Ultimate Facebook plugin, the plugin seems to fail on mapping Facebook profile fields to Buddypress profile fields. ”

I would first try this plugin on a regular multisite install and see it if work with no extra plugins running.

• Profile picture of Peter Martin Peter Martin said 5 years, 5 months ago:

No worries on the delay, it was good advice. I took the networks down entirely, rebuilt and tested (successfully) with simple multisite (no Networks+, no Buddypress), and then got an updated plugin from the facebook dev.

I have the sites up and running with multiple networks and Buddypress installations now, with the default Buddypress theme, so I’m definitely on the right path! At least I know any problems from here on out are of my own making with my theme.

Thanks again.

• Profile picture of ronr ronr said 5 years, 5 months ago:

You’re welcome :)